Analytics Engineering Advocate
Lightdash is an open source BI tool that instantly turns your dbt project into a full-stack BI platform.
We’re building the best BI tool for analytics engineers by letting them manage everything as code, from the comfort of their text editor and command line. Once the data team has written the metrics, then Lightdash enables self-serve for the entire business, so your data is accessible for the whole team.
We’re helping data teams build data-driven companies so they can make better decisions, faster.
How we work at Lightdash
- We build in public, by default. We’re an open source product, so having shared context is important so that people can contribute to Lightdash. As a team, we also think that we make the best decisions when everyone has a lot of the same information. We don't oversell and under-deliver: we want the experience of using Lightdash to be as awesome as the experience we're selling.
- We challenge problems, not people. We ask ourselves “why is this broken?” not “who is breaking this?”
- We’re highly collaborative. We’re a group of people that are happy working independently, but love being part of a team. ****We not only work on problems as a team, but we also listen to the feedback from our community and our users. We invest in tools and processes that allow us to do this, even while fully remote.
- We bias towards impact. We’d rather build something to 80% and get it in front of users so we can iterate on fast feedback than build something to 100% just to find out it’s not the right thing. We spend a lot of time thinking about how our work solves real user problems. We work on the highest impact problems even if they’re something a bit “out of your remit”.
About the role
At Lightdash, we’re obsessed with the success of our users. Our fast and technical analytics support is one of our superpowers today. It covers everything from building dashboards and writing SQL to analytics engineering best practice. If you have a passion for helping teams win with data, we’re looking for our first Analytics Engineering Advocate to join the Lightdash team.
Our users’ experience of Lightdash goes beyond our product features and includes every touchpoint and interaction they have with the community and team. In this role, you’ll be the voice for our community and responsible for our users’ questions related to Lightdash, best practice in BI and analytics engineering.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Obsess over the success of our users: Our users’ wins are our wins. We want to keep building on our technical support that our community and customers know and love. You’ll provide in-depth, personalised answers and pair program with users to solve their analytics problems and pull in other Lightdash team members when needed.
- Lightdash champion: Our community is growing and we want to ensure we’re building our it with a focus and keeping our members engaged. You’ll ensure our members are keeping up with the latest updates from Lightdash as well as represent the company at community events, conferences and meet ups.
- Teach and share: Create and deliver world class tutorials and demos for Lightdash as well as examples of best-practice for data analytics. These could be blog posts, video tutorials, or code examples.
- Community strategy: Building and executing strategies to grow and engage the analyst community around Lightdash.
- Experience in developer relations, community advocacy, technical writing, or other customer facing roles.
- Experience with business intelligence and analytics engineering
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable with dbt, SQL, git, data visualization, and the command line
KPIs owned by the role (WIP):
- Community size and engagement
- Customer support response times and NPS
- Content published and hits
- Product signups and retention
Our interview process shouldn’t take more than 4-5 hours of your time in total. Normally, the process will look something like this:
- a short introductory chat to see if we think we’re the right fit
- Meeting with both of our founders, Hamzah and Oliver
- a technical interview (no trick questions!) that you’ll do with a member of the team
- a culture fit interview to see if your values and ways of working mesh well with ours
- a chat with Hamzah, our CEO, for any outstanding questions you or we might have
💜 We believe that to build a product that works for a diverse group of people, we need a diverse team. So, we strongly encourage candidates of all different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds and identities to apply. We’re committed to hiring people regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability. And once you join us, we’re committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
(Note to recruitment agencies: we’ll only work with recruiters who come via a warm recommendation or we already have a relationship with. Please do not approach us directly!)