Please note if you are applying in the UK, we have a hybrid policy of Tuesdays and Fridays in the office. We support fully remote if you are applying outside of the UK (you must be either +/- 2hrs GMT).
We’re looking for a Lead Frontend Engineer to work closely with Product and Design and help grow and mentor engineers to continuously deliver high quality, scalable, customer-centric experiences.
Plum Guide is building the marketplace of the world’s best holiday homes.
We want to reduce the hours of anxiety that it takes to find a suitable home into a few clicks to find the perfect home. Every single time you use the Plum Guide, you are confident that there couldn’t be a better option.
We do this by taking a data-led approach to defining the best homes using ML to grade them. Then every property gets independently tested and reviewed by our hospitality critics as they collect 500 data points about the home: from wifi speeds to shower pressure. We’re big on data.
We believe in a product mindset to focus and deliver impact as well as a DevOps mindset to continuously deploy. We empower engineers to own the entire lifecycle from infrastructure (as code), build pipelines, write and test code, all the way to deployment and impact analysis.
What will you do?
As a leader, we expect you to be passionate about engineering and problem-solving at scale and balance experience with pragmatism and speed. To be passionate about delivery and quality and taking others along with you, by mentoring, guiding and championing best practices.
You will initially be joining one of our cross-functional teams, you will partner closely with product and design and help guide and mentor engineers to continuously deliver high quality, scalable experiences. You will be primarily hands-on and have a pivotal role in ensuring the growth of the product and the technical ecosystem around you, such as our design system.
Your primary focus will be to:
- Own the delivery and technical execution of the initiatives you lead - identify potential risks early and mitigate them
- Own the stability, resilience and scalability needs of the initiatives you lead
- Partner closely with Product Managers to prioritise both product and engineering initiatives
- Collaborate with other Engineering Leads to deliver cross-organisation engineering initiatives
- Communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Participate in mentoring, growing and hiring future engineers
Additionally, you will be expected to:
- Participate closely in all parts of the full development cycle: technical design, implementation, QA, review, and release
- Work closely with Designers and Engineers to scope and build complex and world-class user experiences and grow and foster our design system
- Work actively on drive the improvement and health of our frontend architecture, tooling and infrastructure
- Effectively employ good design patterns, testing and automation practices to ensure fast and safe iteration cycles. Use your knowledge to coach your teammates and level up the whole engineering organisation
What we’re looking for
- Extensive experience with React (or Vue)
- Experience building high fidelity layouts with CSS (SCSS, CSS-in-JS) and HTML5 using modern responsive design techniques
- Strong experience with state management libraries and data fetching techniques
- Feel comfortable with modern frontend tooling like Babel, Webpack, etc.
- Know and work closely with Node and NPM (or Yarn)
- Experience with testing frameworks like Jest, Cypress, Cucumber.js, etc.
- Experience using or working with design systems and reusable component frameworks and design centric tools (Figma, Storybook, Invision)
- Experience in A/B testing and analytics frameworks, such as Optimizely/Segment/GTM
- Experience using stability and performance monitoring tools like Bugnag/Sentry/Rollba
Perks & Benefits
(Some are dependent on location)
- Competitive salary and equity
- Budget to choose your own hardware
- Budget for books and learning platforms
- Discounts on Plum Guide stays for family and friends
- Rest up to 25 days of the year
- Work from anywhere in the world 4 weeks per year
- Health Cash Plan & Life assurance policy
- Regular physical and remote team socials and games
- Team lunches & get-togethers
- + more!
If this excites you, we would love to hear from you. Send us your CV and tell us why you would like to work with us. And, if you feel you are too senior or too junior for this role, but got super excited when reading, please get in touch.
Plum Guide is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.