Senior Mobile Software Engineer
Well, hello! We’re Help Scout.
We make support software that empowers more than 12,000 businesses to support their customers in the most human, helpful way. We're a remote company with more than 165 employees in different locations around the world, and we've been remote-first from day one. We believe that when teams represent different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, magic happens. The result is better products and a culture that enables everyone to bring their authentic selves to work.
As a Senior Mobile Software Engineer at Help Scout, you will work alongside our experienced product and design teams to build world-class mobile applications for iOS and Android platforms. You'll be an integral part of the mobile team that provides our customers with helpful mobile solutions that complement and enhance their interactions with Help Scout.
We strive to provide a reliable seamless experience that leverages our mobile platforms by providing nimble interactions in the mobile context that support our community of developers and address the use cases that are most impactful for our mobile users.
The Engineering team is one of the three-piece ensembles, along with Product and Design, that makes up our Experience Organization at Help Scout. You will report to Alicia Rivas Perez, our Mobile Tech Lead, and will be part of the Engineering team led by our Director of Product Engineering, Julie Cousins.
The Mobile team is a vital part of the Help Scout software ecosystem by providing our customers with helpful mobile solutions that complement and enhance their interactions with Help Scout. We strive to provide a reliable seamless experience that leverages our mobile platforms by providing nimble interactions in the mobile context that support our community of developers and address the use cases that are most impactful for our mobile users.
Since we have remote team members living between EU through PT time zones, we require that your regular working hours overlap with 8 to 12 pm ET to ensure several solid blocks of overlap time with your team members.
About the Role
- As a Senior Mobile Software Engineer at Help Scout, you will work independently and collaboratively to develop and maintain our mobile applications for iOS, Android platforms, and Backend For Frontend (BFF) written in Java/Kotlin.
- Collaborate with product and design teams to provide input on the mobile application user experience and interface designs.
- Write clean, efficient, and maintainable code using Kotlin and Swift (Objective-C knowledge is a plus but not required).
- Ensure the high performance, quality, and responsiveness of mobile applications.
- Debug and resolve technical issues that arise in mobile applications.
- Work with customers and QA testers to ensure the mobile apps continue to be a resounding success for the business.
- Continuously work on adding new features, optimizing for other devices, and improving the product.
- As a Senior Mobile Software Engineer at Help Scout, you have a deep understanding and extensive hands-on experience with Kotlin, Swift, and Objective-C. You've been working with these platforms for some time and have an excellent knowledge of their nuances and best practices.
- You have a great understanding of how "always online" products like Help Scout communicate with web services in an unpredictable mobile reality. You can help us design everything to fail gracefully and leverage local storage to provide customers with as seamless an experience as possible.
- You delight not only in how an application works but in how it looks, and you have an excellent understanding of mobile interaction design. You love working on UI animations because they can help you execute the perfect user experience.
- You have experience working with product and design teams and can provide valuable input on the mobile application user experience and interface designs.
- You stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in mobile technology, specifically the iOS and Android platforms, and can provide insightful advice about leveraging native platform APIs.
- You are excited about remote work and believe that remote teams are the future of work. You have experience working with remote teams and can adjust your work/management style to be remote-friendly.
- Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn't divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
- Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
- Sabbatical - After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents, including adoption and foster care.
- 401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Bonuses - everyone is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus up to 8% based on shared company revenue goals.
- Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 170 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Why Help Scout?
We're remote. It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked remotely before — we’ve been doing it for nearly a decade and are helping to write the playbook — we’re happy to show you the ropes. Most folks that get a taste of working in a "remote first" company have a hard time going back to the old way of doing things.
We’re passionate about diversity and inclusion. The data is abundantly clear about diverse teams being more successful, and we're dedicated to setting the team up for success. Today our leadership team is 62% women, and that's just the start. Here's our DEI Dashboard where you can see all of our team demographic data and read about our commitment to this work.
We're committed to SMBs for the long term. Help Scout is focused entirely on serving small and midsize businesses, typically up to 500 employees, because those companies view customer service differently. It's not a cost to be optimized, it's their most effective marketing tool and a key differentiator from the competition. We built Help Scout for companies that truly value being customer-centric (like us) and want a product that shares their values.
We're leaving the world better than we found it. Did you know Help Scout is a certified B Corporation, with a mission to give away at least 1% of our product through Help Scout for Good? Our company exists not just to help ourselves, but to invest in our team, our customers, our community, and our environment.
Our commitment to you
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it's the right thing to do.