Raycast makes it simple, fast and delightful to control your tools. We're looking for a Software Engineer to join our small team to craft, shape and improve our macOS app which aims to redefine productivity tools for developers.
Raycast is a native macOS application with a significant focus on top-notch UI and interactions. We genuinely care about user experience, performance, privacy and ease of use. We had enough of dealing with slow and clunky tools. Raycast is our attempt to let you enjoy your daily workflows without all the distractions and frustrations.
The app comes with a set of built-in extensions such as Clipboard History, Window Management, Calendar and more. These extensions are an integral part of daily workflows for thousands of developers and integrate deeply with Apple's operating system. Raycast is the perfect environment to bundle micro productivity tools and we have tons of plans to add new ones. For this, we're looking for engineers who like to work on features from ideation to release, enhance existing features and come up with entire new and creative ways to make our users more productive on the Mac environment.
We're a fully remote company spread across Europe and looking for candidates in EU-friendly timezones (UTC ± 3 hours). This position is for a full-time employment.
In this role you will...
- Build user-facing features in the core product. You work on our macOS application which all our users use. You build new features that enrich the core user experience in the app and expand our library of custom and keyboard-driven UI components.
- Co-own the product and work autonomously. We're a small team of individual contributors. Everybody has autonomy and responsibility. You work on features from ideation over release to maintenance and help us shape the roadmap for the product.
- Solve interesting technical and UX problems. Raycast fits many tools into a single user interface. For this, you will need to solve hard problems like optimistic updates, database indexing and standardisation of user interactions while collaborating with like-minded engineers and product designers.
- Improve performance and care about quality. You will dogfood your own features with our nightly builds, be exposed to constant user feedback from our community and incorporate it in your product development process. You will aim to automate tedious, annoying and time-consuming tasks directly through Raycast.
- Wear many hats. In such a small startup, we're all generalists. You might add a new page to our Next.js website, set up an internal API endpoint in our Node.js backend or write a blog post about a new feature.
You will be a great fit if...
- You're an Apple platforms enthusiast. You have solid experience working with macOS or iOS. You enjoy writing Swift and are looking forward to every WWDC. Foundation, EventKit and other Apple frameworks are known to you and you have successfully used them in production.
- You're highly productive while writing quality code. We release updates every 2 weeks. You are able to break down big projects into small deliverables. You care about the output and take a pragmatic approach to deliver it. You keep things simple and prefer to write a little bit more code rather than adopting a third-party dependency. You know when code reviews or writing tests are beneficial to the changes you introduce.
- You're product-minded. Raycast is designed to keep developers focused. You have a sense for great user experience and feel when something is off. You prefer polishing a feature instead of shipping soul-less pixels. You use analytics to reason about changes in the app and pro-actively iterate on them.
- You put our users first. Throughout Raycast you will find a lot of little details. You pay attention to details and aim to provide our users with a delightful experience. You can't stand bugs (big or small) and never shy away from user feedback.
- You're an empathetic communicator. You treat technology as tradeoffs. You may be opinionated but you're not ideological. When disagreeing, you communicate your perspective thoughtfully and compromise when needed. You thrive in a team environment and hold yourself and your colleagues accountable.
- Swift for our macOS app. Everything is written in Swift using AppKit with Swift Packages. We don't use SwiftUI, however we are likely to start using it soon. We rarely adopt third party dependencies. Some are GRDB for our database, Sentry for crash reporting, Nuke for image fetching and a few C libraries to crank up performance.
- React + Node.js for Extensions API. We use Node.js as a runtime and React as a UI framework for extensions. React components are rendered as native AppKit components, no HTML or CSS involved. The entire API is written in TypeScript. The setup is very similar to how React Native works on mobile.
- Ruby on Rails for backend. We use Ruby on Rails for our Extension Store backend and Heroku for hosting/deployment.
- Modern work tools for everything. Linear for issue tracking, GitHub as source control, Sentry for error reporting, Segment and Amplitude for analytics, Slack for internal communication, Figma for pixels, Notion as knowledge base and a few others. As a team, we enjoy using CleanShot, Bear, Things and a few other Mac apps.
Why joining us?
- We're at the beginning of our next chapter. You will join us at the right time to have major impact on the future of the company. We released our platform, established a friendly community and are jumping head first into expanding our product and business through our Pro and Teams subscriptions.
- We're backed by great investors. We're backed by Accel, Coatue, Y Combinator, Chapter One and angels such as Charlie Cheever (Co-Founder of Expo & Quora), Calvin French-Owen (Co-Founder of Segment), Zach Holman (Early GitHub engineer), Koen Bok (Framer, CEO), Karri Saarinen (CEO, Linear) and many more.
- We're individual contributors at heart. We value full ownership and responsibility, choose quality over quantity and put our users first. We're motivated by shipping truly great software.
- We'll treat you well. Get a competitive salary, stock options and health insurance. Plus, we provide a monthly health benefit for a gym, pay for your co-working space, give you the latest MacBook Pro with a 5K display and accessories and provide flexible paid-time off (PTO) plus all your national holidays.
How to apply?
Now that you know about us, we would like to learn more about you. Send us an engaging message at firstname.lastname@example.org with information you think is relevant. Tell us why you want to join us, what excites you about the problem we're solving and how you envision your role at Raycast. Read about our application process.