Well, hello! We’re Help Scout.
We make support software that empowers more than 12,000 businesses to support their customers in the most human, helpful way. We're a remote company with more than 165 employees in different locations around the world, and we've been remote-first from day one. We believe that when teams represent different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, magic happens. The result is better products and a culture that enables everyone to bring their authentic selves to work.
As a Technical Project Manager at Help Scout, you will be a part of our Platform Engineering team, which all share the same focus: building systems and software that enable our production engineering organization to deliver customer value in the most efficient, scalable and reliable way. We’re looking for a project manager who is an experienced technology individual and is driven by creating clarity and seeing projects through collaboration and coordination to succeed.
The Platform Engineering team is working on the backbone and core services that fuel Help Scout's ongoing evolution. Collaborating with multiple platform engineering teams, we focus on designing, implementing, and maintaining robust, scalable, and efficient systems for today's and tomorrow's challenges. You will report to Luis Morales, Director of Platform Engineering, and will be part of our Experience Org led by our Chief Experience Officer, Lisa Phillips.
As a part of the Platform Engineering group, you'll play a crucial role in addressing Help Scout's expansion, enhancing search functionality, and refining data access capabilities. You'll also be involved in managing diverse services and solutions. In close partnership with the Developer Experience team, you'll contribute to a smooth, productive environment that enables our engineers to craft outstanding products and elevate the customer experience.
Since remote team members live between EU through PT time zones, we require that your regular working hours overlap with 8 to 12 pm ET to ensure several solid blocks of overlap time with your team members.
About the Role
- In this role, you will manage the day-to-day operational aspects of multiple large-scale technical projects.
- Closely collaborates with key stakeholders to prioritize and manage project scope, strategy, and outcomes.
- Responsible for identifying requirements, task definition, and workstream planning — often across multiple teams.
- Plans and manages projects through sprint cycles, including backlog refinement, sprint planning, daily stand-ups and retrospectives.
- Identifies complex and highly technical dependencies, facilitates and participates in discussions to understand the impact, and escalates appropriately — regularly presenting tradeoffs to senior leadership.
- Manages scope and mitigates project risk, ensuring all team roadmaps account for dependencies across functional domain areas.
- Responsible for the thorough documentation, organization, and communication of all project details to the required teams and stakeholders.
- Ensures effective change management occurs throughout the project.
- You have a strong knowledge of Project Management principles, practices and techniques needed in support of large complex technology initiatives, with a successful track record of driving toward results seen through customer value and leading to successful business outcomes.
- You have experience and knowledge of infrastructure, web applications, DevOps methodology, leading solution architects and technology subject matter experts to develop and implement technology solutions.
- As a project manager, you are thoughtful and easily recognize areas for internal improvement and develop implementation plans. Your strong knowledge of change management principles will be vital in helping enact change in process and software development.
- You have an informed vision of how to tackle the responsibilities of this role and a plan for how to get there. You have strong opinions, loosely held; always open to exploring all angles and decisions and changing tactics when it makes sense.
- You are an outstanding collaborator, bridge builder, and communicator. You effectively communicate relevant project information to stakeholders, Executive leadership, and peers.
- You believe in the importance of diversity, equity, and belonging and understand how to foster and exemplify these values.
- You are excited to be part of a remote team and organization that leverages synchronous and asynchronous communication. The people you work with will almost always have at least 4 hours of overlap with you in a given day. Still, you feel well-equipped and eager to manage the tradeoffs with enthusiasm, highly organized information, and excellent communication skills.
- Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn't divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
- Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
- Sabbatical - After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents, including adoption and foster care.
- 401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Bonuses - everyone is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus up to 8% based on shared company revenue goals.
- Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 170 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Why Help Scout?
We're remote. It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked remotely before — we’ve been doing it for nearly a decade and are helping to write the playbook — we’re happy to show you the ropes. Most folks that get a taste of working in a "remote first" company have a hard time going back to the old way of doing things.
We’re passionate about diversity and inclusion. The data is abundantly clear about diverse teams being more successful, and we're dedicated to setting the team up for success. Today our leadership team is 62% women, and that's just the start. Here's our DEI Dashboard where you can see all of our team demographic data and read about our commitment to this work.
We're committed to SMBs for the long term. Help Scout is focused entirely on serving small and midsize businesses, typically up to 500 employees, because those companies view customer service differently. It's not a cost to be optimized, it's their most effective marketing tool and a key differentiator from the competition. We built Help Scout for companies that truly value being customer-centric (like us) and want a product that shares their values.
We're leaving the world better than we found it. Did you know Help Scout is a certified B Corporation, with a mission to give away at least 1% of our product through Help Scout for Good? Our company exists not just to help ourselves, but to invest in our team, our customers, our community, and our environment.
Our commitment to you
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it's the right thing to do.